Vote for Our Official Top 20

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:339, topic:190”]12. Sonny & Jed[/quote]Bravo! Nice to see that someone else appreciates this film too.

Very good movie. Great atmosphere, great music, great Milian. I have the feeling it’s, slightly, overlooked.

To be fair it may just be too hard to get hold of for most of us to judge.
Like so many of the highly regarded films on some people’s lists it can be so difficult to get hold of an affordable copy.
I, for one, have held back voting my top 20 because I am sure there are films that would be in it which I just haven’t been able to see yet.
Very frustrating!! >:(

[quote=“Phil H, post:343, topic:190”]To be fair it may just be too hard to get hold of for most of us to judge.
Like so many of the highly regarded films on some people’s lists it can be so difficult to get hold of an affordable copy.
I, for one, have held back voting my top 20 because I am sure there are films that would be in it which I just haven’t been able to see yet.
Very frustrating!! >:([/quote]
Partially true. Via the internet there are other ways than buying to obtain movies (if you know what I might be saying ;)).

Still via those channels it can be very hard to find anything but the most common spaghetti westerns. If you know something (some place) I don’t please tell (PM me).

Is the top 20 still open for voting? IF so I’ll go ahead and make my top 20…

I believe it’s open all the time, so go for it, amigo!

I’ve erased my top 20. I’ll put up a revised version of my rankings later.

By the way, is the top 20 list for this site better than the top 20 list at sartana.homestead.net? How many people voted for that one?

[quote=“mrchallenge, post:349, topic:190”]By the way, is the top 20 list for this site better than the top 20 list at sartana.homestead.net? How many people voted for that one?[/quote]Can you post the link? I can’t find it. There’s also best sw list on http://www.fatmandan.de/
The top 20 in there is actually quite similar to our top20.

It’s this one:
[url]http://sartana.homestead.com/top20.html[/url]
I can’t understand how “Any gun play” made it to the top20 list. I mean it’s an OK movie but nothing more i think

[quote=“mrchallenge, post:349, topic:190”]By the way, is the top 20 list for this site better than the top 20 list at sartana.homestead.net? How many people voted for that one?[/quote]I think this is quite old list already, made 7-8 years ago or something. Difficult to compare because that one doesn’t include any Leone westerns.

This list was reprinted in the first edition of the Bruckner book.

In the 2nd edition there was an altered list (now including the Leone movies) of 25 films which were supposedly compiled out of 500 fans. Any Gun can Play is now together with Navajo Joe and the Price of Power not amongst the best 25.

[quote=“stanton, post:353, topic:190”]25 films which were supposedly compiled out of 500 fans.[/quote]500 fans?!! I truly doubt that. Our list is made of 50, fatmandan’s out of 40. Where they could have found 500 fans?

Yeah, the old list, which is still linked, could only be compiled out of about 10 or 12 fans.

I don’t believe the 500 either. Wishful thinking, maybe.

But if you have about 30 voters you get a fairly representative list, it won’t change very much thereafter concerning the first 20 or 30 films.

maybe bruckner used ours :wink: ?

Update, erased my list, gonna make a better list sometime in the future

The reason there are no Leone titles on there is because it is a Top 20 list of non-Leone films. They did it on purpose to give more exposure to what were, at the time, lesser known films to people who only knew the Leone films.

The list was compiled from posts on the Spaghetti Western Web Board—as I recall there were about 50 or 60 people that contributed to it. But, that was…as you say… a long time ago! The list is not really representative or of any relevance, now.

And I don’t think ANY GUN CAN PLAY belongs on there, myself. Apart from the clever opening scene and the great music by De Masi…the movie has very little to offer. I think the only reason it made it to that Top 20 list is because it is a personal favorite of the guy that created that website and was responsible for tallying the votes. And that guy is John Nudge. Personally, I only know of two people out of the 50 or so that listed it among their favorites and one of them was Nudge.

The Big Gundown has got 183 pts. Supposed that most of the voters had it in a top position a list with 20 pts for a #1, it’s likely that there were only about a dozen voters.
If so, 3 voters could be enough to place this film in the top 20.

I was just googling “spaghetti-western.net” (almost 4000 results, try it!), I found a really good article I had read a long time ago

one of the comments is by Gabe Powers, saying: “[…]Here’s another more educated, but less wordy list than mine:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Esse…[…]”

:wink: proud :wink: